Opening Day

Whenever a new facility opens the owner or operator normally issues a special commemorative brochure to celebrate the event.

These are printed in limited numbers and are normally only ever given to invited guests.

Below are the Opening Day Brochures held by the Southend Timeline.

Also included in this article are History Bites: a short snipit of history about the site.

If you have any not shown below then please get in touch with us. [email protected]

18th September 1935: Southend Airport.

 

10:00am Gates Open;

Admission Up till 1:30pm Adults 6d, Children 3d, Cars 1s

Admission After 1:30pm Adults 1s, Children 6d

Mayors enclosure: Adults 10/6, Children 5s

11:00 Formation Flying by Southend Flying Club Avro Cadets.

11:15 Arrival of Mr C.W.A. Scott

11:30 Autogiro

11:45 Lecture by Mr C.W.A. Scott

12:00 Crazy flying by Capt Glover Southend Flying Club

12:15 Pleasure flights over Southend

12:45 Arrival by His Worship The Mayor of Southend & Rt Hon Sir Phillip Sassoon The Under Secretary of State for Air.

12:55 Presentation of Bouquets to the Mayoress & Mrs Webber

1:00 Luncheon Interval

2:30 Official Opening by Sit Philip Sassoon.

2:45 Autogiro

3:15 Display by Air Publicity, aircraft will tow banners between 150 - 250 feet in length by 4 to 7 feet high these can cover up to 600 to 1750 square feet of sky space.

3:30 Display of the latest type of high speed fighter by S.A. Thorne of A.V.Role

3:45 Special Surprise item

4:00 Converging Bombing

4:15 Parachutes

4:30 Demonstration of the latest open and closed civil aircraft, including Short Scion & De Havilland DH86 Express

The Astoria Grand Orchestra

4:45 Mannequin Parade

8:00 Illuminations Pleasure Flights

*NOTE*

Aircraft displaying included:

Avro Lynx

4x Hawker Heart

Mew Gull

Kings Cup Falcon

 

 

 

HISTORY BITE:

1935: Airport officially opens.

Summer 1937: Southend was home to one of the first RAF Volunteer Reserve Squadrons.


This time saw the MOD set up two Auxiliary Air Force squadrons at Southend these were 602 Squadron (City of Glasgow) & 607 Sqn (County of Durham) they operated Hawker hinds and Demons.

The airfield would be known as RAF Rochford.Civil flying was banned throughout the UK during the Second World War.

Monday 30th September 1940: R.A.F Rocford was upgraded to R.A.F Station Southend this Coincided with the Luftwaffe changing from Daylight raids on London to Night-time raids.

Monday 28th October 1940: RAF Rochford becomes an Independent Station of Hornchurch Sector & renames RAF Southend, at the same time it is proposed as a night fighter base with 264 & 151 Squadrons operating out of it but the plans are dropped.

Friday 1st September 1944: Placed under 'Care and Maintenance' for the rest of the War.

Tuesday 31st December 1946: Airfield derequisitioned.

Tuesday 31st December 1946: The Southend Corporation was granted a licence to operate the airfield the early days of the airport saw a great deal of gliding carried out for the ATC Cadets.

1947: The Municipal Flying School starts up.

2008: The Stobart Group buy the lease of the airport and begin a £140million investment program which sees a new terminal, new control tower and a runway extension.

For a more detailed history visit our feature article:

http://www.southendtimeline.com/southendairport.htm

 

Berland House 1960's

 

Burland House was off Southchurch Road, it was a hostel for mentally handicapped adults.

3:30pm: The Lord Lieutenant of Essex Colonel Sir John Ruggles-Brise, Offical party and Guests will arrive at the Burland House Residential Hostel and conducted to the Maybrook Adult Training Centre.

His Worship the Mayor Alderman G Baum, will welcome the Lord Lieutenant and request him to formally declare the hotel open.

The Chairman of the Social Services Committee Alderman Mrs V.E. Smith will move a vote of thanks.

The Official Party and invited guests will be conducted a your of the centre.

 

 

 

HISTORY BITE:

Built in the 1960;s

January 2006: Closed

2007: Demolished

New houses have since been built on the site.

7th June 1962: ABC

 

Opening Ceremony by: His Worship the Mayor of Southend-on-Sea Alderman Osbourn A. Moss F.H.A, J.P.

Personal Appearance of:  Richard Todd, Sylvia Syms, Ronald fraser and Eleanor Summerfield (introduced by Clifford Elson)

Fanfare of trumpeters of The Royal Military School of Music, Kneller Hall.

Peter Kilby at the Electric Organ

Pathe News

Cannery Woe (cartoon)

Yul Brynner in Escape from Zahran.

All proceeds will be donated to Children and aged in the Borough and the Mayors Distress Fund.

 

HISTORY BITE:

1872: Public Hall built.

1878: First film shown

1886: Alexandra Theatre opens

6th January 1895: Alexandra Theatre Destroyed by fire.

25th May 1896: Rebuilt Theatre opens as Empire.

9th August 1919: Empire Theatre closes

31st May 1920: Rivoli cinema opens.

4th November 1961: Rivoli closed.

7th June 1962: ABC opens.

1st March 1980: ABC closes for duelling.

22nd May 1980: ABC 1 and 2 open.

12th December 1986: ABC becomes Cannon.

14th June 1996: Cannon returns to the ABC.

22nd January 1998: ABC Closed

10th October 1998: New Empire Theatre opens.

March 2002: Plans for a night club are announced

August 2008: 10 years of the New Empire Theatre.

7th November 2008: New Empire Theatre closes.

February 2009: A £1MILLION scheme to transform the building into a children’s entertainment centre announced, with soft play area in the lower auditorium and small cinema in the upper auditorium.

October 2009: Plans for an indoor children's play centre are dropped.

October 2009: Put on the market with a price tag of £1.15million.

August 2011: Southend Vineyard Church start looking at the building as a new church.

July 2011: Plans for a family arts and entertainment centre announced but are soon dropped.

May 2012: Southend Vineyard Church plans recommended for approval by Southend Council

January 2013: Southend Vineyard Church abandon plans to buy and renovate the building due the cost of almost £3million.

 The building remains empty and disused

 

 

 

 

Saturday 4th July 1964: Cliffs Pavilion.

 

2:30pm: The building will be open to viewing by guests invited to the opening ceremony.

3:45pm The guests are required to take their seats in the auditorium.

4:00pm Opening Ceremony: The formal opening ceremony will take place, in which The Worshipful The mayor Alderman E.E Morris J.P. will introduce Mr Bernard Miles C.B.E., and will invite Mr Miles to dedicate the Cliffs Pavilion officially open.

Mr Bernard Miles will speak.

The Chairman of the Pier and Entertainments Committee, Alderman A.H. White will thank Mt Miles for performing the ceremony.

4:45pm: The official party will leave the platform.

The Royal Artillery orchestra, The Herald of Trumpets of the Royal Artillery. 5:00pm: The building will close to the public to prepare for the ballet.

7:45pm A Gala Performance: Coppelia Ballet by Ballet Rambert

 

HISTORY BITE:

1930: Winter garden plan announced.

1935: Council buy the land.

1937: Tenders for the construction of a hexagonal building are called in.

October 1939: Work starts on the Cliffs Pavilion to a cost of £20,000 but stops due to the Second World War. 

The site would be left untouched for decades after.

1956: Ministry agree to open an inquiry for funding.

1957: Ministry agree to funding.

1960: Work on the Cliffs Pavilion restarts.

 
25th September 1964: Southend Central Fire Station.

 

2:50pm: Her Majesty's Chief Inspector of Fire Services Mr H.M. Smith, Official Party and Guests will arrive at the Central Fire brigade Station.

His Worship the mayor will call upon the Chairman of the Fire Brigade Sub-committee Alderman Norman Clarke, to invite Her Majesty's Chief Inspector to unveil a commemorative plaque in the station vestibule.

Official Party will be conducted to dais in the drill area.

The Mayor will welcome Mr H.M. Smith and request him to formally declare the Fire Brigade Station open.

The Chairman of the Fire brigade Sub-Committee will move a vote of thanks.

Display by members of the Fire Brigade with their appliances.

God save the Queen

Arrangements will be announced for the inspection of the Fire brigade Station.

Music by the Band of the London Fire Brigade.

 

4th February 1966: Court House

Order of Proceedings:

11:30: The procession will form, from the Civic Centre as follows:

H.J. Devlin Esq (The Acting Chief Constable)

Mace

Colonel Sir John Ruggles-Brise HM Lord Lieutenant of Essex, Mr Alderman K.M. MacKinnon Mayor od Southend, Rht Hon Lord Parker of Waddington Lord Chief Justice of England.

P.M O'Connor (Recorder), Achibald Glen The Town Clerk of the Peace.

Hid Honour Judge Conolly Cage Judge of County Court, His Honour Judge H.T. Buckee Judge of County Court.

Francis F Hales Registrar of County Court, A.H. Carnwath High Sheriff of Essex, G.Y. Jerman The H.M. Coroner.

M.J. Heddle Chair of Southend on Sea Borough Justices, H Homfray Cooper The Clerk to the Justices, D Brown Chaie to the Petty Sessional Division of Rochford Justices.

At the Court House

Fanfare by trumpeters of the Royal Horse Guards

Mr Alderman L.W. Johnson Chairman of the Southend on Sea Town Hall and Catering Committee, accompanied by P.F. Burridge of the Borough Architect, will welcome the Lord Chief Justice the Rht Hon Lord Parker of Waddington at the main entrance and invite him to declare open the Court House.

The Lord Chief Justice will declare open the building and unveil a commemorative tablet.

The Mayor will conduct the Lord Chief Justice and principal guests to No2 Court Room.

The Mayor will invite The Venerable W.N. Welch Archdeacon of Southend to dedicate the building.

The Mayor will invite the Lord Chief Justice to address the assembled guests.

The Recorder P.M. O'Conner will speak.

The Mayor will conduct the Lord Chief Justice and principal guests to the other court rooms, guests are requested to remain seated during this time.

 
31st October 1967: Civic Centre.

The County Borough Boundary.

12:00noon: Her majesty Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother, accompanied by the Lady Jean Rankin (Lady-in-Waiting) and Captain Alastair Arid (Assistant Private Secretary) will be received by her Majesty’s Luetenant of Essex (Colnel Sir John Ruggles-Brise, at the County Borough boundary of the Southend Arterial Road (A127).

Her Majesty’s Lieutenant will then present to her Majesty:

His Worship the mayor of Southend-on-Sea, Alderman T.O. Ewart-James J.P.

Who in turn will ask leave to present:

The Mayoress of Southend-on-Sea Mrs Ewart-James.

The Recorder of Southend-on-Sea Mr M.J. Morris and Mrs Morris

The Town Clark of Southend-on-Sea Mr Archibald Glen and Mrs Glen

The personal standard of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother will fly from the Civic Centre from 12:00noon until her Majesty’s departure from the County Borough.

 

The Procession Through the County Borough.

12:07: Her Majesty will drive in procession along the following route:

Southend Arterial Road (A127)

Prince Avenue to Westbourne Grove

12:30pm: Westbourne grove to London Road

12:16pm: London Road to Hamlet Court Road

12:19pm: Hamlet Court Road to Station Road

Station Road to Westcliff Parade

12:22pm: Westcliff Parade to Cliff Town Parade

Cliff Town Parade to Devereux Road

12:25pm: Devereux Road to Alexandra Road

Alexandra Road to High Street

12:27pm: High Street to Warrior Square

Warrior Square to Southchurch Road

12:29pm: Southchurch Road to The Civic House “Porters”

12:30pm: Her Majesty will arrive at the Civic House “Porters”, where his Worship the Mayor will ask leave to present:

The Deputy Mayor of Southend-on-Sea Alderman H.E. Davis and Mrs Davis

Membre du Parlement President dr la Commission des Affaries Etrangeres de l’Assemblee Nationale, Maire de Calais M. Jacques Vendroux.

Sir Stephen McAdden CBE, MP. & Lady McAdden.

Mr Paul Channon MP & Mrs Channon.

Mr A.H. White (Honorary Freeman) and Mrs White

The Chairman or the Town Hall and catering Committee Alderman A.B.C Scholfield and Councillor Mrs Scholfield.

The Borough Architect Mr P.F. Burridge & Mrs Burridge.

The Mayors Chaplin The Reverend Dewi Rhys & Mrs Rhys.

Mrs H.J Devlin

Her Majesty will take lunch at Porters.

 

The Civic Centre.

1:00-2:20pm: All guests are reminded that they must be IN THEIER SEATS by not later than 2:20pm. They will no doubt bear in mind that traffic diversions commence at 1:30pm and that, with the number of vehicles arriving at the Civic Centre, ample time should be permitted for parking, and obtaining access to the building (some parks are up to 400 yards from the N.W. and S.W. entrances – the only points of admission as shown on the reverse side of the admission ticket.

2:20pm: Members of the Council and Chief Officers will assemble in thr members Room.

2:25pm: The Council (excluding those Members to be presented on the arrival of her Majesty and Chief Officers will process to the front of the Council Chamber and take their allocated seats.

2:25pm: Arrival of other distinguished guests, who will be escorted to the Council Chamber and show to their seats.

2:30pm: Her Majesty, accompanied by His Worship the Mayor, Her Majesty’s Lieutenant. The Lady-in-Waiting, the Assistant Private Secretary, the Town Clerk and the Acting Chief Constable, will drive by car in procession to the Civic Centre by the following route:

Civic House “Porters” along the northern carriageway of the Ring Road to Victoria Avenue.

The Eastern Carriageway of Victoria Avenue to the Civic Centre.

2:45pm: Her Majesty will arrive at the ceremonial entrance to the Civic Suite.

The band of the Royal marines School of Music play the National Anthem.

His Worship the Mayor will then conduct Her Majesty through the Assembly Hall into the Civic Suite.

His Worship the Mayor will ask leave to present to Her Majesty, Members of the Council.

 

 

 

 

 

The official opening programme with two different tickets, the blue is for a designated seat the green is non-designated seating.

 

The Council Chamber.

2:55pm: A fanfare will be sounded by the trumpeters of the Royal marines School of Music as his Worship the Mayor conducts Her Majesty to the Council Chamber.

Her Majesty will be presented with a bouquet by Miss Margaret Ewart-James, the daughter of the Mayoress.

3:00pm: His Worship the Mayor will welcome Her Majesty and invite her to declare open the Civic Centre.

Her Majesty will graciously respond to the invitation.

The Lord Bishop of Chelmsford will dedicate the Civic Centre:

The Lord Bishop of Chelmsford will say:

Almighty God whose is the eternal only power other men’s power but borrowed of thee: we beseech Thee for those that hold office in this Borough: that. Holding it first from thee they might use it for the general good and to thine honour: through Jesus Christ our Lord, Amen.”

The whole company will say together:
“O God, whose will is our peace, strengthen and sustain the common life of this Borough: forgive our sins and negligence’s; exalt our purposes; purify out aims; free us from selfish desires; may we be of one mind and heart to thy service; through Jesus Christ our Lord, Amen.”


“Our Father in heaven, hallowed be thy name, Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done, in earth as in heaven. Give us this day and our daily bread. And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive them that trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For thine is the kingdom, the power, and the glory are yours. Now and for ever. Amen.

3:12pm: His Worship the Mayor will call upon the deputy Mayor Alderman H.E. Davis to propose a vote of thanks to Her Majesty.

3:15pm: Her majesty will leave the Council Chamber and will be escorted by His Worship the mayor to his Chamber and there invited to sign the Distinguished Visitors Book.

Her Majesty will be escorted by His Worship the Mayor to the ground floor when he will seek leave to present to her Majesty, Members of the Council, the Mayor will invite her Majesty to unveil a commemorative plaque.


Departure

3:30pm: Her Majesty will leave the Civic Centre and will proceed by car to the County Borough boundary by the way of Victoria Avenue, Prince Avenue and the Southend Arterial Road A127.

 

Road Closures:

North carriageway Ring Road 2:30-2:45pm

Victoria Avenue 1:30-4:15pm

 

Diversions.

Traffic heading North will use Baxter Avenue and Colchester Road before turning on to West Street to join Victoria Avenue at the St Mary’s Church junction.

Traffic heading South will turn down East Street at the St Marys Church junction and following it to Sutton Road, following Sutton Road to the Ring Road junction and into Southchurch Road.

28th March 1969: Leigh Fire Station.

2:50pm: Her majesty's Inspector of Fire Services Mr A.J. Frame, Official party and Guests will arrive at the Leigh Fire Station.

His Worship the Mayor will call upon the Chairman of the Fire and Public Supervisory Services Committee Alderman Norman Clarke to invite her Majesty's Inspector to unveil a commemorative plaque in the station Entrance Hall.

Official party will be conducted to the dais in the drill area.

The mayor will welcome Mr A.J. Frame and request him to formally declare the Fire Station Open.

Mr A.J. Frame will declare the Fire Station open.

The Chairman of the Fire and Public Supervisory Services Committee will move a vote of thanks.

Display by members of the Fire Brigade with their appliances.

God save the Queen.

Arrangements will be announced for the inspection of the Fire Station.

Music by the Band of the London Fire Brigade.

 

 

20th May 1969: Warrior Square Swimming Pool.

 

11:00am: Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Kent, accompanied by Miss Fiona Pilkington Lady-in-Waiting, will arrive at Southend Municipal Airport by helicopter and will be received by her Majesty’s Lieutenant of Essex Colonel Sir John A Ruggles-Brise.

Her Majesty’s Lieutenant will ask leave to present:

The Chief Constable of Essex & Southend-on-Sea Joint Constabulary Mr J.C. Nightingale.

The Vice Sheriff of Essex The Honourable R.C. Butler & the Honourable Mrs Butler.

The Vice Lieutenant of Essex Major G.N. Capel-Cure and Mrs Capel-Cure

The Clerk to the Lieutenancy Mr J.S. Mills and Mrs Mills.

Mrs J.C. Nightingale

Her Majesty’s Lieutenant will then present to Her Royal Highness:

His Worship the Mayor of Southend-on-Sea Alderman F.G. Feather.

The Mayoress of Southend-on-Sea Mrs Feather.

The Recorder of Southend-on-Sea Mr M.J. Morris and Mrs Morris.

The Town Clerk of Southend-on-Sea Mr Archibald Glen & Mrs Glen.

The Airport Commandant Mr A.P. Cusworth.

11:04am:

Her Royal Highness will drive in procession along the following route:

Manners Way, Cuckoo Corner, Victoria Avenue, Ring Road, Southchurch Road, Warrior Square.


In the event of inclement weather Her Royal Highness will journey by cat direct to the Swimming Pool (where the above mentioned presentations will take place).

11:15am: Her Royal Higness will arrive at the Swimming Pool, where His Worship the Mayor will ask leave to present:

The Deputy Mayor of Southend-on-Sea Alderman T.O. Ewart-James.

The Mayor Elect of Southend-on-Sea Alderman Mrs V.E. Smith.

Sir Stephen McAdden CBE, MP.

Mr Paul Channon MP.

The Borough Architect Mr P.F. Burridge OBE.

The Baths Manager Mr R. Sreenan.

The Contractors Representative Mr P.H Bates.

 

11:17am: Her Royal Highness will take coffee with the assembled guests

11:30am: her Royal Highness will be escorted by his Worship the mayor into the dais and will be presented with a bouquet by Miss Celia Feather, younger daughter of the Mayor and Mayoress.


His Worship the Mayor will welcome Her Royal Highness and invite her to declare open the Swimming Pool.

11:35am: Her Royal Highness will graciously respond to this invitation.

11:38am: His Worship the Mayor will call upon the Deputy Mayor Alderman T.O. Ewart-James to propose a vote of thanks to Her Royal Highness.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

11:40pm: A short diving display will be given by Olympic and international divers, John Miles, Alan Rogers, Kevin O’Brian and Mike Cannon, of the Ilford Diving Display team.

11:50am: Her Royal Highness will be accompanied by His Worship the mayor and guests to the entrance foyer where he will invite her to unveil a commemorative plaque.

11:55am: Her Royal Highness will leave the Swimming Pool and proceed by car to the County Borough boundary by way of Warrior Square, High Street, Pier Hill, Western Esplanade, Chalkwell Avenue and London Road A13.

HISTORY BITE:

Just along from the site of the swimming pool sat Southend’s first hospital, whilst this did not make way for the new pool, I have included a brief history as it is so close to the development of the pool facility.

1887: Foundation stone laid for Southend first hospital,

1889: Victoria Hospital opened.

The hospital grew over the years but not as quickly as the town was developing by 1930 it was becoming clear that the hospital was not able to cope with the ever growing and expanding town so the new General Hospital was built on Prittlewell Chase opening its doors on 27th July 1932, the patients being treated at the Victoria Hospital were transferred to the new site on 13th November 1932.

After the closure of the hospital it became a clinic for services such as the School Nurse, dentist and a doctors.

The building continued in its role as a clinic until it was demolished in the mid 1960's to make way for a car park for the swimming pool.

April 1967: Work starts on new pool.

March 1969: Construction completed.

Closed and demolished.

Maybrook Adult Training Centre : 8th July 1971.

 

3:30pm: The Lord Lieutenant of Essex Colonel Sir John Ruggles-Brise, Official Party and Guests will arrive at the maybrook Adult Training centre.

The Official Party will be conducted to the dais.

His worship the Mayor Alderman H.C.G. Hill will welcome the Lord Lieutenant and request him formally to declare the Adult Training Centre open.

The Lord Lieutenant will declare the centre open. 

The Chairman of the Social Services Committee Alderman Mrs V.E. Smith will move a vote of thanks. The Official party and Invited Guests will be conducted on a tour of the centre.

 

 

History Bite:
The Maybrook Training Centre was closed in 2006 and was demolished in 2008, The Guinness Partnership, a housing association which specialises in low-cost homes, has redeveloped the site to include 22 flats and 26 houses on the land

 

 

 

 

 

Wednesday 20th March 1974: Central Library.

 

Guests will assemble on the First Floor.

His Worship the Mayor Mr Alderman G. Baum will take the Chair.

The Chairman will invite Mr Alderman A.V. Mussett Chairman of the Education Committee to give opening remarks.

The Chairman will invite Sir John Ruggles-Brise, The Lord Lieutenant to officially open the building.

The Chairman will invite Lt Col D.R. Kelly OBE Chairman of Further Education Committee to express thanks on behalf of the County Borough.

Following the Official Opening, the Chairman will invite the Lord Lieutenant to make an inspection of the building and unveil the commemorative plaque.

 History Bite:

 24th July 1906: The first Central Library opens.

1926: Building extended to house new children’s section

1962: With a growing population it was deemed that the building would not be able to cope with all that was expected of a modern library so it was elected to build a replacement.

1966: Architects commissioned to design replacement building to the north of the 1906 building.

The site chosen was home to the Southend Bowling Club, who agreed to a transfer of land, the bowling club was relocated to a site alongside Churchill gardens.

July 1971: Planning approved, the project also included council suite and Court House.

October 1971: Work starts on frame of library.

August 1972: External cladding fitted.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Click the link below for a history of the Southend Central Libraries.

Southend central Libraries

21st November 1975: Spencer House

 

 Introduction by: Councillor V Gee Vice Chairman of Housing and Estates Committee

Official Opening: Counciller A.V. Mussett

Dedication: Rev E.J.C. Maddox (St James Leigh on Sea)

Inspection of Scheme,

Refreshments,

Music: by Mr W Fritzpatrick,

Reading: St Luke 19 1-10

Prayer of Dedication.

Hymn: Now Thank We All Our God.

 

History Bite:
Spencer House senior citizen house consisting of 25 bed-sitter, it became a Supported Living unit for Adults with mild - moderate Learning Disabilities in 2004.

 

5th December 1975: Chaucer House

 

 Introduction by: Councillor V Gee Vice Chairman of Housing and Estates Committee

Official Opening: Counciller A.V. Mussett

Dedication: Rev J.L.Head

Inspection of Scheme,

Refreshments,

Music:  by Mr W Fritzpatrick,

Reading: St Luke 19 1-10

Prayer of Dedication.

Hymn: Now Thank We All Our God.

 

History Bite:
Chaucer House, A Senior Citizen 20 bed-sitting rooms and four flats for married couples

 

23rd January 1976: Westwood
Introduction by: Councillor V Gee Vice Chairman of Housing and Estates Committee

Official Opening: Counciller A.V. Mussett

Dedication: Rev E.J.C. Maddox (St James Leigh on Sea)

Inspection of Scheme,

Refreshments,

Music: by Mrs Coral Wilkins

Reading: St Luke 19 1-10

Prayer of Dedication.

Hymn: Now Thank We All Our God.

History Bite:

Westwood a Senior Citizen hostel with 25 bed-sitter rooms, two flats

 

30th January 1976: Keats House

 

Introduction by: Councillor A.V. Mussett Chairman of Housing and Estates Committee

Official Opening: His Worship The Mayor Councillor Norman Clarke

Dedication: Rev J.L. Head

Thanks: Councillor V Gee Vice Chairman of Housing and Estates Committee

Inspection of Scheme,

Refreshments,

Music: by Mr Barry frost

Reading: St Luke 19 1-10

Prayer of Dedication.

Hymn: Now Thank We All Our God.

 

History Bite:

Dwelling scheme for the Elderly a two storey building of 4 one bedroom flats for married couples and 20 bed sitting rooms.

 

11th November 1976: Crouchmans

 

Introduction by: Councillor G.W. Heath Vice Chairman of Housing and Estates Committee

Official Opening: Counciller A.V. Mussett

Dedication: Rev R Cartwright (Honorary Assistant Priest of South Shoebury.

Inspection of Scheme,

Refreshments,

Music: by Mrs M Tuson

Reading: St Luke 19 1-10

Prayer of Dedication.

Hymn: Now Thank We All Our God.

 

History Bite:

Crouchmans Senior Citizen complex consisting of 30 one person bed-sitting rooms and 30 two person flats.

 

26th April 1978 Furzefield

Introduction by: Councillor AG.W. Heath Vice Chairman of Housing and Estates Committee

Official Opening: Councillor A.V. Mussett Chairman Housing and Estates Committee

Dedication: Rev T Scully St Peters Church Eastwood Road North

Inspection of Scheme,

Refreshments,

Reading: St John 10 vv 11-18

Prayer of Dedication.

Hymn: Now Thank We All Our God.

History Bite:

A complex consisting of 8 one person bed/sitter flats abd 20 one bedroom flats.

 

10th May 1978: Buckingham House
 

Introduction by: Councillor G.W. Heath Vice Chairman of Housing and Estates Committee

Official Opening: Counciller A.V. Mussett

Dedication: Rev Cannon S.T Erskine Rural Dean of Southend.

Inspection of Scheme,

Refreshments,

Reading: St Luke 19 1-10

Prayer of Dedication.

Hymn: Now Thank We All Our God.

History Bite:

Buckingham House is a  complex for Senior Citizen consisting of 14 bed-sitting room flats with 14 one bedroom flats.

 

31st May 1978: Scott House

 

Introduction by: Councillor G.W. Heath Vice Chairman of Housing and Estates Committee

Official Opening: Counciller A.J Daniels Deputy Mayor & Chairman of Housing & Estates Committee.

Dedication: Rev M.A. Ballard Vicar of Eastwood

Inspection of Scheme,

Refreshments,

Reading: Mathew 6 vv 25-34

Prayer of Dedication.

Hymn: Now Thank We All Our God.

History Bite:

Scott House A large complex for Senior Citizens comprising of 34 bed sitting rooms, 7 one bed flats and 20 one bedroom flats in Neil Armstrong Way.

 

5th July 1978: Mussett House

 

Introduction by: Councillor A.J. Daniels Deputy Mayor & Chairman of Housing & Estates Committee.

Official Opening: Mr A.V Mussett

Presentations:

Dedication: Rev A.H. Freeman Highlands Methodist Church

Inspection of Scheme,

Entertainment: Southend on Sea Operatic and Dramatic Society

Refreshments,

Reading: John 13VV 3-5, 12-17

Prayer of Dedication.

Hymn: Lead Us Heavenly Father Lead Us

History Bite:

A Senior Citizens complex comprising of 10 one bedroom and 12 bed sitting room flats.

 

24th January 1979: Kestral House

Introduction by: Councillor G.W. Heath Vice Chairman of Housing and Estates Committee

Official Opening: Counciller A.J Daniels Deputy Mayor & Chairman of Housing & Estates Committee.

Dedication: Rev G.H.G. Plastow Vicar of St Marys North Shoebury.

Inspection of Scheme,

Refreshments,

Reading: Mathew 6 vv 25-34

Prayer of Dedication.

Hymn: Now Thank We All Our God.

History Bite:

A grouped dwelling scheme of 25 one bedroom flats and 5 bed sitting room flats.

 

21st February 1979: Nestuda House

Introduction by: Councillor G.W. Heath Vice Chairman of Housing and Estates Committee

Official Opening: Counciller A.J Daniels Deputy Mayor & Chairman of Housing & Estates Committee.

Dedication: Rev E. Nugent

Inspection of Scheme,

Refreshments,

Reading: St Luke 10 vv 38-42

Prayer of Dedication.

Hymn: Now Thank We All Our God.

 

28th March 1979: Queensway Day Centre & Workshops

Introduction by: Councillor A.J Daniels Deputy Mayor Chairman of Housing and Estates Committee

Official Opening: His Worship the Mayor Councillor R.B. Marriott

Dedication: Rev R.G Bromby Vicar of All Saints Church Sutton Road Southend

Vote of Thanks: N.H. Deacon

presentation: To The Mayoress

Inspection of Scheme,

Refreshments,

Entertainment: Dancing to The Queensway Duo

Reading: St John 10 vv 11-16

Prayer of Dedication.

Hymn: Praise my Soul

History Bite:

A Four storey building that provided accommodation for group Practices, Nursery School, Health Centre, Social Services and W.R.V.S meals on Wheels Scheme.

Demolished 2013/2014 now a ground level car park.

 

26th September 1979: The Jordans

Introduction by: Councillor G.W. Heath Vice Chairman of Housing and Estates Committee

Official Opening: Counciller A.J Daniels Chairman of Housing & Estates Committee.

Dedication: Rev martin Leeson Vicar of St Lukes Prittlewell.

Inspection of Scheme,

Refreshments,

Reading: St Luke 19 vv 1-10

Prayer of Dedication.

Hymn: Now Thank We All Our God.

 

2nd May 1986: Inauguration of New Pier Train Service

 

10:15am: Her Royal Highness will arrive by Helicopter at Priory Park, Victoria Avenue, Southend-on-Sea.

On alighting from the helicopter her Royal Highness will be received by Her Majesty’s Lord Lieutenant for Essex Admiral Sir Andrew Lewis KCB.

Her Royal Highness will proceed to waiting cars for the journey to Nazareth House, London Road, Southend-on-Sea, via Victoria Avenue, Victoria Circus and London Road.

10:30am: Her Royal Highness will open the reconstructed West Wing of Nazareth House.

11:30am: Her Royal Highness will leave Nazareth House for the journey to Southend Pier, the route will be London Road, Queensway, Southchurch Avenue and Marine Parade.

11:40am: her Royal Highness will arrive at the marine Parade entrance to the Pier where she will be received by the Mayor and Mayoress of Southend-on-Sea Councillor P.H. Herbert and Mrs J. Herbert.

His Worship the Mayor will present:

Councillor N. Clarke Leader of Southend-on-Sea Borough Council and Mrs Clarke.

Councillor Mrs. L Collard Deputy Mayor and Mr Collard.

Councillor G Littler Chairman of the Leisure Services Committee and Mrs Litter.

Councillor N Moss Chairman of the Property and Development Committee and Mrs Moss

Councillor D Garston Chairman of the Environmental Services Committee and Mrs Garston.

Miss Lucy Payne will present Her Majesty with a posy.

Her Royal Highness will be conducted by the Mayor and Mayoress to the North station platform.

Councillor N. Clarke will then invite Her Royal Highness to name one of the trains the “Sir John Betjeman”

 11:50am: The Royal party will board the front two carriages of the train for the journey to the South Station at the Pier head.

12:00 noon: On arrival at the South Station the Mayor will invite her Royal Highness to unveil a plaque commemorating her visit.

12:02pm: The Royal party will then move to the Lifeboat station where the mayor will formally hand over a new lifeboat to the Royal National Lifeboat Institution. After a short service of dedication Her Royal Highness will name the new boat the “Percy Garon 2”.

12:20pm: The Royal party will then proceed to the South Station via a marquee in which there will be a small exhibition showing the intended development of the pier.

12:25pm: The Royal party will board the first two coaches of the train and return to the North Station.

 

12:40pm: The Royal Party will leave the North Station at marine Parade level and enter the cars for the journey to Porters.

The Route will be Marine Parade, Southchurch Avenue, Queensway, Southchurch Road and Tyrrel Drive.

12:45pm: The Royal party will arrive at Porters where were Royal Highness will take lunch.

2:30pm The Mayor and Mayoress will conduct Her Royal Highness to the waiting cars to take their leave.

Her Royal Highness will enter the Royal Car for the journey to Abbeyfield Archer House, Laindon Road, Billericay.

 

 

 

 

 

HISTORY BITE:

1846: First hand drawn carts used on pier.

1873: Carts withdrawn from use.

1890: Toast Rack Pier trains

1949: AC Cars replace Toast Rack's

October 1978: Pier Trains permantly withdrawn from use.

1986: Pier Trains return.

Click the link below for a more detailed history of the Southend Pier Trains.

Pier Train History

 

Saturday 16th June 2013: Prittlewell Priory Re-opening.

10:00am: Stalls Open,

RSPB,

Essex Wildlife Trust,

Southend Bee keepers,

Southend Cake Decorators,

Badger Trust,

Wildlife Craft,

Bug Life.

 

10:45am: nature Walk.

12:00noon: Phil Jupitus cuts the ribbon on the restored Priory.

1:00pm: Digby Fairweather performance.

1:45pm: Ladies Orpheus Singers

2:30pm: Southend Operatic Society.

 

 

30th September 2013: The Forum

 

The Forum Southend-on-Sea  a unique project bringing together a public library, a college and a university, this will be the only facility of it's type in the UK, right in the heart of Southend-on-Sea town centre.

The £27million project is a partnership between Southend-on-Sea Borough Council, the University of Essex and South Essex College.

The doors were opened to the public for the first time at 8:00am with the first through the doors receiving a limited edition commemorative bookmark.

At 7:30 that evening the inaugural lecture was conducted in the lecture hall by professor Brian Cox, who had nothing but praise for the new building.

 

 

View Site in Mobile | Classic