Recent Photos

1932

Rossi's Ice Cream- Pietro and Luisa Rossi moved to Southend from Consett to go into partnership with Massimiliano and Anna Rossi who had already established Rossi's Ice-cream at 1 Marine Parade, 37 High Street andWestern Esplanade.

LEFT: Rossi's 27-29 High Street

 

 

 

 

RIGHT: The first Rossi ice cream parlour.

With thanks to Patricia Volante

Click to open map
View Larger Map

 

 

 

 

New Station for the Town - Southend East came alive for passenger traffic in 1932.  The area had alwasy been in existence and had been known as Southend Sidings for carriages and goods.  The need of the town however was to tempt the day visitors to disembark further along the line and to take the pressure off Southend Central, and spread the beach along the coast.  The sidings however gave way to development leaving the Southend East Station to remain in solitude.

J H Jacks Ltd - A new clothing factory was established this year in Southchurch, at one time employing 250 workers.  The company specialised in producing shirts and pyjama's.  Turning to the war effort to produce RAF and demob clothing and of clothing for Russian children.

The Gas light & Coke Company purchased the Southend Company, taking over the main works on Eastern Esplanade. 

New Hospital - Southend General Hospital replaced the Victoria Hospital in Warrior Square on 26th July 1932. Built in a green area to the west of the town along Prittlewell Chase; the hospital would be able to deal with up to 221 patients.

 

 

Tram Ticket Office Goes - Since 1910 the Tram Ticket office in Victoria Circus, positioned outside the Technical College, provided an invaluable service to the travelling public of Southend.  However, in 1932 the office was demolished.

Tomassi's Restaurant opens in the High Street - A restaurant that is still very much alive today and very popular by young and old alike, probably due to its fantastic Ice Cream menu which tops off an excellent meal.

 

 

Johnson & Jago - A Leigh ship builders founded this year, and would become integral to the war effort by providing a turn a round service for the many marine and military craft used during operations.  During 1940-44 the company turned around £2 million worth of ships in repairs.  They also launched 35 112ft naval M.L.s (used in Commando raids, as mine-layers, hospital carriers, anti-submarine craft), also 15 motor fishing craft and 18 harbour service craft.  The firm at the time employed around 200 employees.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Where to now?

View Site in Mobile | Classic