Recent Photos

1921

MEMORIAL ON THE CLIFFS

 

New Flagstaff 

Mast by you.

August 1921 saw the erection of a new Flagstaff on Clifftown Parade.

First trams enter Warrior Square as the tracks expand.

The last fleet of trams, fully roofed, purchased by the Corporation.

Leigh's population reached 15,031

The High Street suffers with flood damage on 1st Nov 1921.

Victory Sports Ground Opens - To honour the sportsmen of the Borough who gave their lives during the Great War, the Victory Sports Ground in Sutton Road was formally opened.  A set of ornate gates to the ground were also installed.  Presented by honorary Freeman RA Jones.

Agricultural Training - Post war the government provided schemes to help veterans of the last campaign develop new skills and provide for their families.  The aerodrome was particularly pulled into service with land taken to provide agricultural training , with pig pens and chicken coops.  A significant number of trainees some being amputees were housed in red bricked cottages close to the St Laurence Church.

King Visits Southend -

King George V raced “Britannia”  in the first Southend Yachting Week, held in 1921.  This fact resulted in a large number of entries and the King won the race.  His visit to the town was welcomed by thousands of people who lined Victoria Circus and the High Street to get a glimpse of their King. 

Fun at the Park - The Kursaal Amusement park opens

 Fairground Ride at Southend, 1921, Original caption: Bank Holiday Scenes AT Southend. In The Kinsall - Fun On The Tabs., © Hulton-Deutsch Collection/CORBIS, RM, Advertisement, Advertising sign, Amusement ride, England, Europe, Fair, Fence, Group, London, Passenger, People, Recreation, Sign, UK

Pier Disaster - Concrete Ship Violette collides with pier

Leigh Offices Opened - A stirring occured on 29th May 1921 in Elm Road when the Leigh UrbanDistrict Offices were formally opened.   

Memorial - Shoebury War Memorial unveiled in front of the Palace Cinema in Ness Road.

Co-op Bakery Arrives - Co-operative societies were alive and well in Southend.  Sutton Road saw the opening of the Bakery and biscuit factory in 1921.

 

Where to now?

View Site in Mobile | Classic