Recent Photos

1900
News

Cricket - Southend-on-Sea Cricket Club is an established and inspiring Cricket Club, based in Southchurch Park. There has been cricket played here since 1900.

Southend in the News - The "Southend Telegraph" newspaper published its first issue on March 31st, 1900. It was renamed the "Southend Pictorial Telegraph" in 1922, and later that same year, was renamed the "Southend & County Pictorial".

Leigh Fire Service - Leigh had suffered a number of fires in it's boundary over the years.  So it was no surprise in 1900 the Leigh Ratepayers Association decided on better protection for the town, purchasing fire fighting equipment, 15 men took up the role, and on 10th May 1900 the Brigade was fully constituted.  With the number of wooden structures around it would not belong before their services would be called upon.

Smerdon's Arrives - George Smerdon arrived in Westcliff this year setting up business as a furniture retailer, providing quality goods from Hamlet Court Road.  In 1928 his four sons joined their father and the business became Smerdon & Sons Ltd.

 

Dairies Established - The town's supply of milk became established this year with the arrival of Mr H G Howard.  Taking over premises on the London Road, other local dairies joined the Howard's brand to make it even stronger as a business.  Today the dairy has long gone, replaced by flats suitably named after the former business.

Sutton Road Cemetery Opens - Formerly Jordan's Farm, the town's main cemetery, identified in 1895, opened by 1900 and began to accept admissions.  

New Pub - Prittlewell Village was well served by a few pubs at the turn of the century, including the Spread Eagle and the King's Head.  Around the corner in North Road a new hostelry opened and is still serving beer today, the Nelson a large pub in size heralded the spread of urban living towards the west and into Westcliff-on-Sea.The Nelson (SS0 7AB)

Southend Calling - The first telephone exchange in Southend was opened in 1900, and was set up in one small room of a private house at the corner of Clarence Road and Weston Road (An automated exchange was built in 1929 near the Cricketer's Inn).

Huge Fire - The centre of Southend from the High Street to Weston and Clarence Roads was hit by a massive fire in July which destroyed a number of buildings.  The fire started in Wallis's ironmongery stores, due to the volatile reaction of three benzoline oil barrels being affected directly by the sun.  They eventually exploded engulfing the premises in flames.  It did not help that the next door premises was of similar trade and its contents too helped keep the fire burning and spreading.  Weston Chambers, in Weston Road, made up of a few public offices such as the clerk to the local magistrates and the Southend Unionist and Conservative Club was soon fully alight.  Many valuable records were lost.  A number of businesses were either completely destroyed or partly damaged due to the low water pressure afforded to the firemen.

 

Where to now?

View Site in Mobile | Classic