Recent Photos

1886

New Church -  All Saints Church was built in 1886 and extended in 1934, is a fine example of Gothic Revival Architecture.  All Saints is a town cAll Saint's Churchhurch built to cater for the rapidly expanding population of Southend. It was designed by the well-known Victorian church architect James Brooks and is a good example of the simple early Gothic style.

New School for Shoebury - For a number of years the children of Shoebury were educated courtesy of a large single roomed building at the bottom of Hinguar Street, now the site of St Peter's Church.  By 1886 the number of children needing schooling had increased, so a little east of the original site a new school opened, Hinguar School.  Initially as an infants but with additonal building the site reached its current compliment and received junior children in 1903. 

Train Trip to Southend - The cost of taking a new form of transport to the seaside was very much promoted from Fenchurch Street station.  But it did work and passengers would fork out 3 shillings for the novelty of taking a train on the London, Tilbury and Southend line.  Throw in an extra thruppence and you could go all the way to Shoeburyness.

 

 

View Site in Mobile | Classic